12.2.10

More Gifts from the Kitchen

I am discovering lots of fun things to create in the kitchen these days.  Best of all, they don't require any fancy ingredients and my kids enjoy helping with the production.

Something very simple - and very popular amongst the kiddies - were these cellophane bags full of homemade kettle corn (sweet popcorn).  I added a bit of red food colouring to turn the kernels a subtle shade of pink to fit with the Valentines theme.  Click here for the recipe.


************************************************************************************************************************
When we moved to England last year, our agent brought us a large box of tea bags and a jar of coffee granules as part of a "basic essentials" kit. Since we abstain from such beverages ourselves, but not wanting to waste them, the obvious solution was to give them away. Of course, I thought it would be a much more meaningful gift if I spiced up the presentation a bit. I found the following recipe in a cookbook given to me by a friend many years ago (thanks Katy!) and thought it would make a fun gift for work colleagues or teachers.
Again, it only requires a few simple tools and some basic, inexpensive ingredients.


Hot Choco Coffee Mix

Granulated Sugar - 2/3 cup (150mL)
Cocoa Powder - 1/3 cup (75 mL)
Ground cinnamon - 1/4 tsp. (1 mL)
Instant coffee granules - 1/4 cup (60 mL)

Method: Measure sugar into small bowl. Sift cocoa, cinnamon, and coffee granules into sugar. Stir. Spoon into plastic bag or jar with tight-fitting lid. Makes about 1 cup (250 mL).


Directions for Preparation (I attached this to the jar using an adhesive label):
Hot Choco Coffee: Heat 1 cup (250mL) milk in large mug in microwave on high (100%) for about 2 minutes until very hot. Add 1.5 Tbsp (25 mL) Hot Choco Coffee Mix. Stir. Serves 1.

Using pinking shears (or fabric scissors), cut a large circle of fabric to fit over lid. Secure in place with a rubber band.


Add a bit of ribbon to cover the rubber band and add a decorative touch. You can fasten a tag to the ribbon as well.
Since I don't drink coffee, I have no idea how this tastes, so if someone out there decides to give this recipe a try, let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. Very cute! I think it might be time for me to pull something crafty out of my hat for Valentines Day for Patrick -- chocolate truffles perhaps?

    ReplyDelete